Saturday, December 6, 2008

Menu Planning

I have recently become a menu planner, menu grocery shopper. I got the idea from my pal, Al.
We grocery shop every 2 weeks. I know that sounds crazy! But, we do one big trip every 2 weeks and usually once do a small milk/veggie/fruit trip in the middle.
So, I gather some cookbooks (I have over 20) and browse through to find recipes I want to make. I LOVE THIS PART. I easily spend an hour choosing 10 recipes for the 2 weeks. You're saying, 'Ashley, 2 weeks is 14 days not 10, duh.' However, I am in grad school and I know I will not cook every night- so I throw in a few nights of leftovers, grab your own or John cooks.
Plus, I always make one dessert :)
Left- grocery list broken down according to grocery aisles
Right- recipe list with cookbooks, page numbers, key ingredients written out
Here are a few of what we will be eating in the upcoming weeks:
Beef Stew with Sun Dried Tomato and Chive Dumplings
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Brown Rice
Coffee Cup Souffles
White Bean Tortellini Soup
Gnocchi with Thyme Butter Sauce
Don't you want to come over for dinner?

3 comments:

Andrew and Tara said...

I'll try to remember all this for when I am a wife :)I'm sure it will only happen when I am home for the summers!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I do! I do this also, but not while I am taking Anatomy and Physiology. It actually saves you money to be so organized. I will recommend a blog that I use who is Alie's sister in law and it is wonderful! It is called dinners on me and she blogs weekly. Check it out. liza :)

PSYCHMOM said...

You should post your recipe's next, I'm always looking for some inspiration.