Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oh my Oprah

Late last week Oprah had some celebrity chefs on her show. There were some moms who needed help making healthy, quick meals. A realistic problem many people face. I'm lucky because I love to cook. I don't love to plan though. Being a budget conscious family, I must plan out detailed weekly meals. We do 10 meals for 14 days- two meals out and two nights of leftovers. Important factors: I rarely cook the same thing twice, I'm still a fairly successful vegetarian married to a dedicated meat lover, we have a two year old on a white carbohydrate only diet. So, after watching bits of pieces of this episode I decided to go online and look it up later. What I found was a complete 7 day, 21 meal plan and grocery list. I decided to take what I call the Cat Cora Challenge and follow her menu- to make my life easier and have a little piece of Oprah in my life :)
{pictures from Oprah.com}
Dinner #1- Greek Cinnamon Stewed Chicken with Blanched Greens
My thoughts- This meal was simple and delicious. After I made the sauce and added the chicken back in to the stew, I tossed in cubed tofu. It is so nice to eat new foods and flavors. Cheap, too.
Dinner #2- Southwestern Tuna Casserole
My thoughts- This really perked up Tune Casserole for me. I am kind of naturally against the traditional casserole because my family never ate them. But, this was spicy and interesting. My husband loved it. I did add an extra can of tuna for more protein. Very cheap also.
I'm so excited to try all these new foods and, sadly, so happy to be apart of something 'Oprah'. I do love her so. 5 more meals to make- I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: