Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dinosaur basics

My first bit of planning as a new teacher needs to combine assessment, learning, fun and prove to these kids that I'm like-able, interesting and knowledgeable. Because of the nature of the job, my students do not take regular tests or grouped into ability groups or in a specific 'grade' determined by 'age'.
I've been spending every waking moment thinking about planning, planning and brainstorming. I'm thinking a DINOSAUR project is the way to go. I'm big on project based learning and here is my forum. Basically I want dinosaur reading, writing, math and science. I'm going for major fun factor and multiple ways to interact. Here's what I have so far... Ideas wanted... Dinosaur books Dinosaur coloring pages Dinosaur diagrams- label the parts (claws, arms, eyes, etc) Matching card game (pictures or pictures and names) Dinosaur puzzle Dinosaur plastic toys Dinosaur writing- If I were a dinosaur... Dinosaur design- My own dinosaur... Do you think dinosaurs are universally interesting??? I know my teacher friends read this, so more ideas please!!! :)

2 comments:

McDorky said...

What age range or average ability level? I have ideas swarming! I think Dinos are super fun and interesting to all children! There are alot of cross-curricular activities you could do, especially with creative writing and art! Expressive arts - move like a dino! Science - study what made the dinos disappear. Nolan has really been into Komodo dragons lately, because they are the closest thing to living dinosaurs. You could bring something in about that. Branch off to Endangered Species and how a species becomes extinct (especially the human toll on species) and that would be your social justice feed in! I'll keep thinking!

Amy Cleveland said...

I definitely think dinosaurs is a great unit idea... maybe a unit on dogs would be fun too!